The OIE provided a total 200,000 rabies vaccine dose towards the Afghanistan national rabies vaccination implementation program which was inaugurated in September.
The implementation program includes:
- Mass vaccination campaigns of village owned dogs.
- Provincial veterinary epidemiologists of 33 provinces of Afghanistan were trained for the rabies vaccine implementation program by central epidemiology department (CED).
- Rabies public awareness materials were provided to be distributed to the target areas.
- A total of 398 veterinary field units (VFUs) were contracted to implement rabies vaccinations to vaccinate owned dogs.
- A total of 169,000 vaccine doses were distributed to 398 district of all 34 provinces.
- A total number of 550 rabies vaccines were delivered to Nowzadcharity and main private pet clinics located in Kabul.
- In parallel to the routine rabies vaccination program, rabies passive surveillance has been reinforced by all contracted VFUs across the country.
- Through the public media urban civilians were encouraged to vaccinate their dogs in private clinics located in urban areas.